Sunday, April 25, 2010

Why Must I Ruin Her Life All The Time?

Protesting the fact that I did not buy her a trampoline this weekend. A right proper sit-in.All my poor neglected girl can do is sit and listen to her iPod Touch and text woeful texts to her friends. sigh. To her credit, she has limited it to theatrics only, no mean sass mouth to date. Thank God for small miracles there.

So Ag and her bestie had big plans this weekend for the go kart. Unfortunately, shortly into their fun Saturday the throttle cable pooped the bed and ended it all.

Begin the volleys of asking mom then dad then mom then dad to buy a trampoline to end their boredom suffering. They are champions of sweet asking those two. They made Mark lunch of a peanut butter honey sandwich with a honey heart on the bun. Aggie volunteered to forego all 2010 future Christmas presents. There were frowny faces. A touch of sighing.

Lemme just say, since there's a really good chance I'll end up caving like I do on stuff like this, I think trampolines are the junkiest piece of eyesore I could probably ever put in my yard. I admit, though I know it's not totally fair, that I associate them with trashy trailer parks. I've often wondered how long it takes for the thing to become boring and forgotten like any other yard toy.

It makes me think of Sit-N-Spins.

We never had a Sit-N-Spin at our house growing up and they were like the funnest toy ever-in my mind. Any time I visited someone else's house where they had one (and I swear everyone else had one but me) I'd sit-n-spin & sit-n-spin. And probably, the kid to whom it belonged thought "what the heck's the big deal?" and they probably never played with the dang thing. It's just one of those toys that's way funner at somebody else's house. Like a trampoline. At least, that's my theory.

Fortunately they did manage to find other ways to entertain themselves. I made them waffles for breakfast and then they headed outside in their 'pajamas.' I wasn't paying attention and then it was too late to bother making them change....

They were catching bullfrogs. Good times.Just like Charlie's Angels. Or something. Sam had just caught a couple of drones (male bees that don't have stingers) to play with and possibly take to school. He'd bee wrangled a bee at school last week and kept everybody entertained for a period or two. I said Crazy Bee Boy, huh? and he said Ya! He got the drones from an unoccupied hive that the other bees were cleaning of its residual honey. No gloves or nothin'! Even though you know they don't have stingers, it still makes me feel weird to hold one.

Could this be a prince?


We were just finishing supper, chicken fried wild turkey-yum!, when my grandmother phoned and Lily picked up. Nan asked Lily what she was doing and Lil said eating, but immediately said we caught bullfrogs today! And Nan said, You're eating bullfrogs?! and Lil said No! And Nan said Well, good. I wouldn't want you to croak.

Bum dum bump!

7 comments:

Annette said...

I dropped in at the market Saturday afternoon...now I think it was in the middle of some of that sucking up the girls were doing to Mark. I kind of sensed something was up with them. Personally trampolines scare the sh*t outta me. You could break your neck on one of those things.

Analisa said...

Wow. I know how hard it is to say no. Just check out the stats and get one with the mesh fencing around it. There are so many accidents with these, broken arms and such. Do the research on them first, maybe. Anyway I have learned kids rebound and live without getting everything they want. Blessings!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

Guess my kids were really deprived! No trampolines or sit and spins and REALLY never any frogs or toads. Those critters scare the dickens out of me. They are my worse fear! Well almost.

gretchen said...

See, I think of trampolines as kind of "high class" because every rich kid in Beverly Hills has one in their yard. We have one, and let me tell you, Jude would MUCH rather have a go cart, a hay bag, a bull frog and a drone!

honeypiehorse said...

That frog looks exactly like a prince!

Michele R said...

Whoa! That is one big frog!!
Fortunately for us the boys have a friend who has a trampoline. That plus they watch "America's Funniest Videos" and see all the accidents. So they just skateboard of stairs and stuff like that. (!!!?!)

Sara said...

I'd be a no-go on the trampoline. That is me though. :) The frog looks awesome!!! Besides there are forts to be made in the hay, fields to hike, horses to ride, fishing to do, worms to catch, bees to see... :)